Reinvent your cheese board
· 20 May 2020
Chef I Made Runatha of plant-based restaurant, Moksa Ubud shares his vegan Cashew Cheese and Herbed Cashew Cheese recipes.
Plant-based cheese’s reputation as the regular cheese substitute has been increasing every year. It is attributed for providing a solution for those with lactose intolerance or dairy sensitivity. Cashew nuts make good cheese because of its fat value that in turns create the required creaminess. As a plant-based restaurant, Moksa Ubud has experimented with cashew cheese, making its own plain, herbed and even aged cheese.
Serves 2 cups
Prep time 2.5 hours
Fermentation time 8 hours
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup purified water
- ¼ teaspoon probiotic liquid/powder
- Soaked the cashews for two hours, rinse and then drain.
- Blend the cashews with water and probiotic liquid/powder in a high-speed blender, adding more water if necessary to achieve a smooth, creamy texture.
- Select a pint-size plastic basket and cover it with cloth, place it in room temperature for 8 hours. When it is fully fermented, the cheese is raised, odorous and have the consistency of soft cheese.
- Store it in a sealed glass container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Season or sweeten as desired before consumed. Season with 2 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder, 1 ½ tablespoons light miso. To sweeten, add palm nectar or honey for dessert.
Herbed Cashew Nut Cheese
Serves ¾ cup
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 5 minutes
- ½ cup cashew cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped pine nuts
- 1 tbsp minced red onion
- ½ tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp light miso
- 1 tsp minced fresh dill weed
- ½ tsp finely minced green onion
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- Pinch of pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.