· 24 April 2013
TYPE OF MEAL
Vanilla and passionfruit cookies
Vanilla and Passionfruit Cookies
Makes 35 cookies
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
175g unsalted butter, softened
50g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence or paste
175g plain flour, sifted
50g custard powder, sifted
200g icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp custard powder, sifted
1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Pulp from one passionfruit
- In a large bowl, cream butter and icing sugar, using a plastic spatula, until colour turns pale. Then add vanilla essence or paste. Stir until well-combined with the mixture.
- Add the sifted plain flour and custard and mix until you get a soft dough.
- Roll into small and even-sized balls (a little smaller than golf balls), then place on greased trays. Flatten the dough gently with a fork, so you get disc-shaped cookies with lines running across.
- Bake at 180°C for 10 to 15 minutes. Cookies are ready when the edges start to brown.
- Leave to cool on a baking rack.
- To make icing, combine icing sugar and custard powder in a bowl. Add melted butter. Strain passionfruit pulp, discard the seeds and add juice to the mixture. Stir until well-mixed. If required, add a tablespoon of boiling water at a time, until you reach a spreadable consistency.
- Sandwich cooled passionfruit icing with two vanilla cookies.