Smoky baked bean casserole
SMOKY BAKED BEAN CASSEROLE
ALL AMERICAN SMOKEY BAKED BEAN CASSEROLE
A classic home-style essential in America. It's the smoky bacon mixed with the tangy and sweet flavorings that make this one of the ultimate winter comfort foods.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cool Time 45 minutes
7-9 slices hardwood smoked bacon (preferably applewood smoked but any hardwood will suffice).
1 white onion, medium diced.
4 x 400g cans plain baked beans, including liquid.
2 tbsp tomato ketchup.
2 tbsp yellow mustard
125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
• Slice bacon into rectangular strips, about 1 inch by 1/2 inch. Fry in dry sauté pan until cooked but tender – do not cook until crispy. Remove bacon but reserve 1/2 of the bacon fat in pan.
• Sauté the onion in the reserved bacon fat until tender and translucent.
• Combine beans and diced onion in large bowl.
• Add brown sugar, ketchup and mustard to beans and incorporate (note: if the mixture tastes too tangy, add a little more brown sugar or ketchup to taste; if too sweet, add more yellow mustard to taste).
• Pour bean mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and place bacon strips around the surface, pushing slightly into bean mixture so partially, but not fully covered.
• In a 180 degree c. oven, bake covered for 20 minutes, then finish baking for another 20 minutes, uncovered.