Roasted maitake mushroom soup with laksa leaves and shallot chilli oil
The clear mushroom soup is just what you need on a rainy day. Add a few laksa leaves and what results is an unexpectedly lemony punch to the broth.
Serves 4 Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
250g Maitake mushrooms (available at Japanese supermarkets)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
pinch rock salt
1 tbsp olive oil
50g white onions
100g oyster mushrooms
100g button mushrooms
1 cup premium rice wine
2 spring onion stalks
40g fennel bulb, sliced
5 laksa leaves, crushed
1 litre water
4 tbsp olive oil
55g shallots, sliced
1 small chilli padi
55g white and brown honmeji
mushrooms (available at Japanese supermarkets)
45g oyster mushrooms
5g pandan leaf
- Arrange Maitake mushrooms onto a tray. Drizzle with olive oil and rock salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C for 3 minutes. Roast the mushrooms till golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat up another small pot with olive oil. Fry the shallots till crispy brown. Turn off the heat. Add chilli padi to infuse for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add olive oil in another pot and fry the onions till soft. Add roasted Maitake mushrooms, and oyster and button mushrooms. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and deglaze with premium rice wine until wine is almost dry. Add in the spring onion stalks, fennel, laksa leaves and water. Simmer to a boil for 25 minutes.
- Drain the mushroom stock but keep only enough liquid to fill another pot. Bring the stock to a boil, and drizzle one to two drops of shallot-chilli oil.
- Lightly fry the honmeji and oyster mushrooms for 2 minutes. Then, arrange all the cooked mushrooms on a deep serving plate. Pour the broth into the plate. Garnish with pandan leaf.