Pumpkin ginger winter soup
The fragrance of this rich, thick soup will evoke warm winter thoughts no matter what the actual temperature is outside.
Serves 6 Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
1 litre chicken stock or broth
1 small pumpkin peeled and seeded, cut into small chunks (about 6 cups)
3cm length of fresh ginger, peeled, smashed and chopped or grated
salt to taste
allspice or nutmeg to garnish & perfume
- In a heavy pot bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Boil the pumpkin gently until tender— about 30 minutes.
- Then add the ginger to the stock, stirring well to incorporate throughout. Continue cooking at a gentle simmer for an additional 30 to 45 minutes until pumpkin and ginger is very soft.
- With an emersion blender, puree the mixture until both the pumpkin and ginger are smooth and incorporated throughout and the liquid has thickened.
- Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with a light dusting of allspice or nutmeg for garnish.
Tip: Should you not get the desired thickness of the soup after puréeing, pour the soup back in the pot and simmer gently for another 15 minutes to reduce.