Orange passion fruit and mango jam
Basic pantry staples like sugar, vinegar and oil, can go a long way in taking fruits and vegetables the extra mile in storage.
Makes: 15 jars (approximately 110g each)
Prep time: 30 minutes + overnight maceration time
Cook time: 2 hours 15 minutes
500g fresh mango, peeled and cut into chunks
pulp from 10 passion fruits
juice of 1 lemon
- Scrub oranges, remove buttons at the top and halve them. Squeeze juice and set aside. Slice orange skins into thin rounds (or to desired thickness).
- Place orange skins, orange juice, mango, passion fruit pulp and 1 litre of water in a large pot. Leave overnight in a cool place.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Simmer till orange peel is tender, approximately 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and pectin and mix well. Add to the orange mixture and bring to a rapid boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer and let cook for 2 hours.
- Mixture is ready when it’s thick enough to cover the back of a spoon or dense and syrupy.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then pour into sterilised jars and seal. Submerge sealed jars in a pot of cool water. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes. Take jars out and leave to cool completely.
- Store in a cool dry place and consume within 1 year. Use as a spread for bread and scones, glazing oven-baked ham or chicken, or a topping on bread and butter pudding.