Maple bacon jam
It’s best cooked down with raspberry vinegar and green apples for a tinge of tartness, then sandwiched between savoury grilled cheese and crusty bread.
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
350g streaky bacon, cut into 1cm strips
170g white onions, diced
¼ cup raspberry vinegar
1 cup red wine
1 tbsp sugar
½ cup good maple syrup
½ cup celery, peeled and diced finely
½ cup green apples, peeled, deseeded and diced finely
2 packets gelatin powder
- Heat up oil in a non-stick pan and fry the bacon till crisp.
- Add in the white onions, salt and vinegar, frying gently before deglazing with red wine.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients excluding the gelatin powder, then simmer and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in the gelatin powder, stirring until it has dissolved completely.
- Turn off the heat, pour into different container to cool down and purée till fine.