Hazelnut Praline Profiterole
Raffles Hotel Singapore's Hazelnut Praline Profiterole is equal parts refined and decadent, a perfect dessert to surprise Mom with this Mother's Day. For the other recipes included in our recent cover shoot, download our May/June issue now.
Makes 10 profiteroles
Prep time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
hazelnut mousseline cream
75g egg white
- Place water into sauce pan, and add the sugar. Heat to combine into a simple sugar syrup. Heat the sugar syrup to 115°C.
- Place egg whites into a mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form, roughly 2 minutes.
- Change to high speed, and gradually add the sugar syrup to the egg whites. Whip until stiff peaks form.
88g egg yolk
- Bring milk to a simmer in a sauce pan. Remove from heat.
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together to combine. Gradually whisk the heated milk into the mixture.
- Return mixture to pan and place on low heat. Stir constantly until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- In a mixer, whip up the mixture and add the butter, mixing until well incorporated. Remove from mixer, and gently fold in the meringue.
1 vanilla pod
80g egg yolk
21g custard powder
50g gelatine mass (bloomed)
30g mascarpone cheese
- Heat up the milk and cream in a sauce pan. Scrape out the vanilla pod, and add to the sauce pan. Heat until it reaches a gentle simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolk, sugar, custard powder and flour together until well combined.
- Gradually add in half of the heated milk to the above while whisking constantly. Add the mixture back in to the sauce pan, and whisk vigorously while heating over medium heat.
- Once the custard thickens and comes to a boil, remove from the heat and add in the gelatine, butter, and mascarpone. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour out into a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it cool.
70g praline paste
- To make the hazelnut mousseline cream, mix 270g of pastry cream with 200g of buttercream and the praline paste together.
10g milk powder
130g whole egg
63g brown sugar
3g cocoa powder
- In a sauce pot, melt butter with water, sugar, salt and milk powder. Once completely melted, add in the flour and cook while stirring with a paddle. The choux pastry will be ready when a layer of film sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the choux pastry into a mixer with the paddle attachment. Add in the eggs and mix until well combined. Place choux pastry into a piping bag.
- To make the craquelin, mix all the ingredients together to form a dough. Roll it out until it reaches a thickness of 1mm, and cut our circles using a ring mould.
- Pipe out the choux onto a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Place a ring of craquelin onto each piece.
- Bake at 160°C for 40 minutes.
- Once profiteroles have been properly cooled, pipe the hazelnut mousseline cream in them.