Fennel sausage, peperonata and poached egg
This lighter-flavoured riff on the classic eggs and sausages brunch combo takes its cue from salsiccia e peperoni, a popular dish in the mountains of southern Italy. Best served with a generous portion of bread to soak up the full-flavoured sauce.
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
50g chopped banana shallots
5g chopped garlic
50ml olive oil
120g fresh tomatoes, peeled and cored
60ml dry white wine
50ml fresh orange juice
4 Italian pork and fennel sausages (available from sidecar.com.sg)
2 stalks of rosemary
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste
- Char red and yellow peppers on a barbecue or in an oven until the skin is black.
- Place in a bowl, cover with cling film, then steam, so that the skins are easily removed.
- Remove skins and seeds from peppers, then slice lengthways.
- Sweat shallots and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add peppers and tomatoes, then sweat for 1 minute. Add white wine and orange juice and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add raw sausages, rosemary and bay leaf, then allow mixture to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove sausages and season peppers with salt and pepper to taste.
50g basil leaves (about 1 bunch)
vegetable oil, for frying
100ml grape seed oil
- Wash and pat dry basil.
- Heat vegetable oil to 140°C in a small pan. Fry basil leaves until they turn translucent.
- Remove basil, place in grape seed oil and blend immediately. The oil will require a couple of minutes of blending to combine properly.
- Pass the oil through a fine sieve, then set aside.
1 litre water
50ml white wine vinegar
4 fresh organic eggs
partially cooked sausages from peperonata recipe
4 slices sourdough bread
extra virgin olive oil
fresh baby basil leaves or small basil leaves
- To poach eggs, bring water to a boil with white wine vinegar, then reduce to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into individual cups and slowly drop into the simmering water, making sure the eggs are fully immersed.
- Turn eggs a couple of times, making sure to be extremely gentle with them.
- Once the whites are firm but the eggs are still soft, take them out and carefully place in an ice bath to set.
- Finish sausages by cooking on a barbecue or griddle pan.
- For each serving, heat peperonata and place on a plate. Place sausage on top.
- Reheat eggs in hot water for 1 minute, then pat dry and place on top of each sausage.
- Brush sourdough with extra virgin olive oil and toast on a griddle pan, then serve on the side.
- Garnish peperonata with fried shallots, baby basil leaves and basil oil.