Ebi-senbei (prawn cracker)
An extravagant presentation of an izakaya-style snack, this botan ebi dish also goes well with beer or sake. Deepfry in the recommended oil temperature because the batter burns easily. To check if the oil has reached the recommended temperature, drop a coin-sized tempura batter into the oil. The batter will sink to the bottom of the wok. Wait until the batter rises to the surface, to slide in the botan ebi.
Serves 2 Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
4 pieces botan ebi, with shells intact
50g tapioca flour
1.5 litres vegetable oil, for deep-frying
150g Japanese sweet
potato, finely sliced in circles
150g lotus root, finely sliced in circles
• Shell botan ebi, but leave head intact.
• Butterfly the prawn by making a deep cut along the belly.
• Coat the prawn with tapioca flour while patting it down to flatten it.
• Dust excess flour from the prawn surface and deep-fry in oil heated to 165°C for 5 to 7 minutes.
• Deep-fry sweet potato and lotus slices in oil heated to 165 degree Celsius for 2 minutes.
• Pat dry on paper towel to remove excess oil.
• Plate prawn, sweet potato and lotus root slices.