Cannoli from The Godfather
CANNOLI FROM THE GODFATHER
Makes 8-10 pieces
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
metal tubes measuring 2.5cm in diameter and 13cm in length, available at Phoon Huat
450g plain flour
60g fine castor sugar
60g vegetable shortening
pinch sea salt
pinch ground cinnamon
4 tbsp Marsala wine
1 pot or ½ litre soya bean oil for deep frying
• Mix together all the ingredients except the Marsala wine. Add the Marsala, as needed, to form a stiff dough.
• Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm thick.
• Cut the dough into ovals, roughly 7.5cm by 12.5cm.
• Wrap the dough around the metal tubes and seal the ends together well with egg wash.
• Let rest for an hour or two before frying.
• Preheat the deep fryer filled with soybean oil to 180°C.
• Lightly fry the pastry shells until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes, and drain on a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Once cool, remove the metal tubes and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
ricotta cream cheese filling
1kg ricotta cheese
570g fine castor sugar
½ cup double cream, add in a bit more as needed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 drops cinnamon oil
30g candied citron
30g white chocolate chips
• In a mixing bowl, fold ricotta cheese with the sugar and cream as needed. Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon oil, candied citron, and chocolate chips. Refrigerate until needed.
• Fill a pastry bag with ricotta cream cheese filling and pipe into cannoli pastry tubes from both ends.