· 3 July 2018
TYPE OF MEAL
Prep time 5 minutes + 1 hour setting
Cook time 40 minutes
citrus almond paste
350g skinned almonds
250g icing sugar
10g lemon zest
- Bake almonds at 150°C for 20 minutes, then allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Mix almonds with icing sugar and lemon zest, then blend all ingredients into a paste. Store overnight until needed.
candy sugar ‘tray’
350g glucose syrup
water-based white colouring
water-based gold colouring
- In a deep saucepan, cook sugar, water and glucose syrup to 150°C.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and cool it with an ice bath until the temperature drops to 120°C.
- Add water-based white and gold colouring and mix well. Pour mixture into a tray until 3mm thick. Allow mixture to set for 1 hour. 30 minutes into the setting process, use a toothpick to stir through the mixture to achieve a pattern.
- After the mixture has set, use a warming lamp to soften the mixture enough to mould it into your desired ‘tray’ shape and a separate shape that fits perfectly in the interior of the tray.
- With the ‘tray’ shape as the base layer, add a layer of almond paste filling before covering the interior with the inner candy sugar shape.
- Allow the completed ‘tray’ to set for 30 minutes. Store it in a container with a bottom layer of dehumidifying powder and with baking parchment separating the ‘tray’ from the powder.