Amaretti cookies with mascarpone cream
Amaretti cookies is perhaps Sardinia’s answer to macaron. Also made with ground almonds and sugar, amaretti cookies are dome-shaped treats with crisp exteriors and chewy insides. For a crunchier texture is desired, one could store the freshly-baked biscuits in an airtight container for two days.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 30 minutes
600g ground almonds
250g fine sugar
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
3 egg whites
fine sugar for dusting
100g mascarpone cheese
50ml whipping cream
½ vanilla pod, seeds reserved
30g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line a flat baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Mix well.
- Add egg whites to mixture, one at a time, and blend till to form a smooth dough.
- Place teaspoon sized pieces of dough onto the baking tray and sprinkle with a light dusting of sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, vanilla seeds and icing sugar and blend till well combined. Serve with cooled amaretti cookies.
Chef’s tip: Freshly baked cookies will be slightly chewy at first but they will turn crispy after a day or two if stored in a cool and dry place.