Mexican Dips are a sure-fire hit at any dinner party. Make a healthier version of this dish by adding more freshly cut vegetables and using less sour cream.
Serves 4 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
1 can refried beans, (available from belmontemex.com or Jasons Market Place)
400g ground beef
1 packet taco/burrito seasoning pack (available at Jasons Market Place)
2 ripe avocadoes
juice of quarter lemon
salt and black pepper to taste
4 tomatoes, diced
1 green peppers, diced
200g black olives, sliced
450g cheddar cheese, shredded
100-200g sour cream
1 can salsa
2 packets tortilla chips
- Heat up the refried beans on a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Fry ground beef over medium high heat. Drain excess fat.
- Add taco/burrito seasoning and 50ml of water. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has been reduced.
- Allow refried beans and ground beef to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, mash avocadoes till creamy. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Dice tomatoes, green peppers and slice the olives.
- In a deep transparent casserole dish, add a layer of refried beans, followed by ground beef, cheddar cheese, sour cream, mashed avocado, salsa, jalapeno peppers. Top with another layer of cheddar, fresh tomatoes, green peppers and olives.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips.