Keep your eyes on these 4 vibrant winemaking stars who are making a splash in the Margaret River wineries and also participate in our giveaway to win an all-expenses paid trip for 2 to Margaret River!
Together with Margaret River First Class in a Glass, we’ll be showcasing the wonders of the Margaret River region through a three-part series. In the first instalment, we explored the must-dos in the region; in the second segment, we dived deep into its leading five wineries; and for the last part, we suss out four dynamic young wine markers.
In recent years, there has been a rise in young and bold vintners making their own mark in the Margaret River wine industry. Here are four up-and-coming winemakers who have made an impression.
The founder of Dormilona, Perry was crowned the winner of the Ridel Young Gun of Wine in 2016. Together with her partner, they focuses on creating quality wines from organic and biodynamic fruit with no additives and zero to little intervention. That means no finings or filtration, and minimal use of sulphur during bottling.
Drink: Clayface. Their new range of wine are handmade in pure terracotta amphora pots. The results? A fresh, clean, crisp and vibrant flavours.
The founder of Amato Vino, Wehr believes in using old-school and modern approaches to winemaking. Case in point, he has collaborated with Ricca Terra Farms for alternative, rare grape varieties such as the Slancamenca Bela, a Serbian white grape variety. Wehr also uses older oaks for zero distractions to the fruit expression of the wines plus unconventional fermentation vessels including clay amphorae.
Drink: ‘Brad’ Cabernet Merlot. The classic Margaret River wine with hints of dark chocolate, blackcurrant and French oak.
The lad behind L.A.S (Luck, Art, Science) Vino, Peterkin hails from a family of wine makers (the son of Pierro founder, Dr Mike Peterkin and Shelly Cullen). But Peterkin went on to use the knowledge and experience he gained to create his own wines that are now being served in some of the top restaurants in the world – London, Tokyo, Singapore, Shanghai and Sydney included
Drink: The L.A.S. Vino Albino Pinot. Described as a "strawberry shortcake in a bottle", it's made of a combination of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and strawberries.
A nomadic wine maker, Ardvison started his career at 15, went on to universities and then travelled around the world (New Zealand, Canada, Bordeaux, Italy, Portugal, Spain and United States) before finally settling down in Margaret River. Counting music as a very important part of his life in LS Merchants, Ardvison uses melody to encourage his grapes to produce enticing flavours. Don't be astonished if you hear lounge tunes coming from the vineyard.
Drink: The Old Bridge Cellars. Well-balanced, powerful and complex.
epicure’s exclusive giveaway with Margaret River First Class in a Glass
Stand a chance to win an all-expenses paid trip for two to Margaret River!
– Two return economy flights from Singapore to Perth worth $1,500
– Car hire for four days worth $350
– Three nights’ accommodation worth $1,800
– Cave entry for two worth $45
– Lighthouse entry for two worth $56
– ‘Vasse Virgin’ locally grown and harvested olive oil product hamper worth $250
– Dinner for two at Piari Restaurant worth $150
– Wine tour for two with ‘Margaret River Bubbles’ worth $220
To stand a chance to win, simply enter your particulars in the form and follow us on both Facebook and Instagram.
Entries for this prize will close on 12 March at 11.59pm, and we will announce the winner of each prize on the following day.
Prize winner: Goh Tze Wei
Terms and Conditions
- OVERSEAS PARTICIPANTS ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE BUT THEY WILL NEED TO APPOINT A REPRESENTATIVE IN SINGAPORE FOR PRIZE COLLECTION ON THEIR BEHALF IF THEY ARE UNABLE TO DO SO THEMSELVES.
- THE MANAGEMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW OR REPLACE PRIZE OFFERS AT ANY TIME.
- THIS CONTEST IS INITIATED FULLY BY EPICURE AND MARGARET RIVER FIRST CLASS IN A GLASS
- DO TAKE NOTE THAT BY ENTERING THE COMPETITION, YOU WILL BECOME AN EPICURE SUBSCRIBER AND YOUR DETAILS MAY BE SHARED WITH THE PRIZE HOST.