X.o. carrot cake
X.O. Carrot Cake
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 55 minutes
For plain carrot cake
350g rice flour
50g corn flour
600ml + 750ml water
3 tbsp vegetable oil
100g Chinese leeks, finely sliced
1 kg white radish, grated
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp ground black pepper
- Combine rice flour and corn starch with 600ml water, sieve through.
- Heat extra oil, sauté leeks till fragrant, add the radish and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in 750ml water, add the salt, sugar and pepper. Mix in the strained starch solution, stirring constantly till it thickens.
- Transfer the thickened mixture to an oil-lined steaming tray. Steam mixture for 40 minutes till carrot cake is set. Allow to cool and chill carrot cake overnight to set before slicing up to serve.
6 tbsp vegetable oil
800g plain carrot cake, cut into 3cm cubes
1tsp fish sauce
3 eggs, beaten
60g X.O. sauce
12-18 fresh prawns, blanched and peeled
150g bean sprouts, peeled
4 opeh leaves
Spring onions, finely diced
- Heat oil in pan and add the carrot cake cubes. Saute over high heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine fish sauce with egg, pour over the carrot cake. Cook until egg is set and turns golden brown.
- Add X.O. sauce, prawns and bean sprouts into the pan. Toss evenly and transfer to serving plate topped with opeh leaves. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and garnish with spring onions and coriander leaves.