Tomato bisque with cod fish and fresh basil
Add basil leaves and peeled tomatoes. Stir and simmer for about 1 minute, taking care not to overcook tomatoes till they acquire an overly sour taste.
Serves 4 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
1 litre water
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled and quartered
70g celery, roughly chopped
1 tomato, quartered
30g Italian parsley
1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
20g chopped garlic
20g chopped onions
200g cod fish slices, skinned
5 fresh basil leaves
500g peeled tomatoes
500ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• To make vegetable stock: add water to a large pot over medium heat, and then add all vegetables into the pot.
• Increase heat to high, bring to a boil for about 20 minutes.
• After boiling, turn off the fire, and let vegetable stock sit until cooled.
• Strain the solid ingredients and reserve the liquid for use.
• Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan. Add chopped garlic and onions and sauté for 1 minute.
• Add cod fish slices and sauté about 2 minutes. Turn them over occasionally until surfaces are browned.
• Add basil leaves and peeled tomatoes. Stir and simmer for about 1 minute, taking care not to overcook tomatoes till they acquire an overly sour taste.
• Add vegetable stock.
• Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
• Pour soup into bowls and serve. Garnish with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil if preferred.