Thai basil mango soufflé with cashew crumble and pandan sauce
THAI BASIL MANGO SOUFFLÉ WITH CASHEW CRUMBLE AND PANDAN SAUCE
Serves 10 Prep time 10 minutes + 30 minutes chill time
Cook time 45 minutes
mango passion curd
2g gelatine leaves
96g mango purée
22g corn flour
30g passion fruit purée
• Soak gelatine in cold water to soften. After 10-15 minutes, squeeze excess water and reserve softened gelatine.
• Mix 50g mango purée with corn flour and stir well. Combine remaining mango purée with passion fruit purée and corn flour mixture and set to a slow boil.
• Add sugar and softened gelatine, stirring well till dissolved. Strain sauce over a fine sieve, set in round moulds with a 5cm diameter, and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
500ml plain milk
22g custard powder
100g fine sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
2 pandan (screwpine) leaves
• Mix 100ml milk with custard powder and stir well. Combine custard mixture with the remaining milk and ingredients over medium heat. Occasionally, pound the pandan leaves to release their essence and colour.
• When mixture is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon, remove from heat. Strain sauce over a fine sieve and set aside in the fridge to chill.
112g fine sugar
120g ground cashew nuts
150g cake flour
210g unsalted butter, softened
• Combine all ingredients and mix till it reaches a slightly sandy consistency. Shape dough into a log with a 5cm diameter and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
• Slice the dough into rounds of 1.5cm thickness and bake in a 170°C oven for 15 minutes.
Thai basil mango soufflé
300g mango purée
20g corn flour
150g egg whites
60g fine sugar
5 Thai basil leaves, finely chopped
softened butter, for greasing
fine sugar, for dusting
• Mix 100g mango purée with corn flour and stir well. Set the remaining mango purée over low heat and combine with corn flour mixture till it reaches a slow boil. Remove from heat.
• In a clean dry bowl, whisk egg whites with sugar and chopped basil to a light meringue texture. Fold in meringue gently to the thickened mango mixture.
• Grease 5cm round moulds or ramekins well with softened butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Add the cashew crumble in each base.
• Pipe soufflé mixture halfway, centre with mango passion curd discs and top up with remaining soufflé mixture. Set moulds in a water bath and bake in a 180°C oven for 12 minutes.
• Spoon pandan sauce over and serve immediately.