Sugar dough cookies
Rope in your cute-as-a-button family member to make these adorable treats. String ribbon or liquorice strips through the middle loops to pass them off as thread.
Makes 50-55 small cookies Prep time 1 hour
Bake time 40 minutes
6 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
500g unsalted butter, softened
2 cups fine sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 drop each red, blue, yellow or desired colouring
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Finally, add vanilla extract and mix well. Fold the flour mixture in three parts, gently folding after each addition until just combined.
- Divide the dough into three equal portions. Add a drop of your desired colouring to each portion, and knead until the dough is evenly coloured. Add more colouring in drops if you want a darker shade.
- Shape the dough into round balls and roll to approximately ½-inch thick. Lay the rolled dough onto a silicone baking sheet or lightly floured work surface. Using a satay stick, poke four holes in the centre of each cookie.
- Preheat the oven to 185°C. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges have crisped up and are very lightly golden (the cookies should not brown too deeply).
- Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely