· 31 January 2017
TYPE OF MEAL
Succulents and cement cake
Serves 10 Prep time 1½-2 hours
Cook time 1 hour
olive thyme financier
280g unsalted butter
5g thyme leaves
50g olive oil
200g all-purpose flour
435g icing sugar
200g almond powder
10g baking powder
565g egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two 6-inch by 2-inch square and two 4-inch by 2-inch round cake tins.
- In a saucepan, heat butter with thyme on medium heat for 30 minutes, until the butter browns and is infused with thyme. Mix in olive oil and heat to 90°C, then strain mixture.
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Using a paddle attachment, whip egg whites on high speed, then lower to slowest speed and slowly add in the dry mixture.
- Add hot thyme oil to the mixture while still whipping. Mix until well-combined.
- Pour batter in cake rings and bake for 30-45 minutes.
fig and strawberry compote
330g strawberries, roughly chopped
550g fresh figs, roughly chopped
11g orange zest
11g pectin NH
- Heat 15g sugar and molasses in a saucepan on medium heat and caramelise, or until the mixture reaches 150°C.
- Add chopped strawberries and figs, then simmer until tender. The fruits should become very soft.
- Mix in orange zest and rum.
- Combine pectin and remaining 10g sugar in a bowl, then mix into the saucepan mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take mixture off the heat, cover with cling film, then let the mixture cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
fondant succulents, as desired
- Cut each olive thyme financier cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- In a 6-inch by 2-inch square mould, place 1 layer of the square cake at the bottom and spread 100g of compote on top.
- Repeat the process until you use all the 3 layers of sponge altogether in one ring.
- Repeat the previous 2 steps with a 4-inch by 2-inch round mould, then stack on top of the 6-inch by 2-inch square cake.
- Freeze the whole cake overnight.
- Wrap cakes with fondant exterior. Create cement texture by carving ridges in the fondant layer and using edible paint to make the cracks look realistic.
- Decorate cake with fondant succulents, then serve.
Excerpt from the February 2017 issue of epicure.