Spaghetti with mushrooms and vodka cream sauce
A splash of vodka adds a pleasant smoothness to the lovely pink sauce. This dish can be beefed up with herbed chicken or smoked salmon for a substantial dinner.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 tbsp olive oil
450g dried spaghetti
1 red onion, diced finely
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 can Hunt's diced tomatoes
250ml plain vodka
1 can Nestle cream
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
fresh parsley, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. At the same time, place the spaghetti into a pot of salted boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Sauté onions, garlic and button mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until caramelised.
- Pour in the tomatoes, vodka and cream, and gently stir in herbs, pepper, salt and brown sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, while constantly stirring, till it reduces into a thick sauce (about 10 minutes).
- Toss cooked spaghetti in the mushroom sauce and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.