Pickled watermelon rind
This refreshing and piquant mix cuts through oily meats and makes great bedfellows with duck and game.
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
1kg fresh watermelon rind with a bit of pink flesh on the side
1 tbsp whole cloves
5-inch-long cinnamon stick, broken into 1-inch pieces
1 litre white wine or cider vinegar
30g ginger, smashed
2 red chilli padi (cut open the chilli for a spicy version)
- Cut the watermelon skin into mini batons—2cm-wide and 7cm-long.
- Wrap the clove and cinnamon stick in a cheesecloth.
- In a pot, bring the water, vinegar and sugar to a boil, then add in the watermelon rind, ginger, chilli padi and cheesecloth.
- Place the watermelon rind into the mixture to cook on medium heat for about 30-40 minutes or until the rind turns translucent.
- Bottle as shown and let sit for at least 2 weeks before consumption.