Mussel and saffron risotto
Try a spin on the traditional risotto Milanese with mussels instead of bone marrow.
Serves 4 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 35 minutes
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
32 mussels, cleaned and debearded
50g onions, chopped
320g carnaroli rice
2 pinches saffron
½ glass white wine
1 litre filtered chicken stock
60g unsalted butter
80g Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g tomatoes, skin and seeds removed
fresh chilli (optional)
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add the mussels, steaming gently till their shells have opened. Drain stock and reserve. Remove the mussels from their shells and set aside.
- In a deep saucepan, sweat onions in another 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add the carnaroli rice, saffron and stir well.
- Add the white wine and reduce for 5-10 minutes. Heat up the chicken stock till boiling and combine with the reserved mussel stock.
- Ladle by ladle, slowly add enough stock to cover the rice and stir till liquid is absorbed before adding more.
- The rice should be cooked al dente at 18 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and Parmesan cheese. Dish onto serving plates.
- Reheat reserved mussels in a pot with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, garlic and tomatoes, adding a splash of mussel stock if available.
- Bring to a boil before removing from heat. Top saffron risotto with mussel sauce and serve.