Miang kam (thai leaf-wrapped snacks)
Miang Kan (Thai Leaf-Wrapped Snacks)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
½ cup grated coconut
¼ cup dried shrimp, unwashed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 green limes, unpeeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp shallots, peeled and finely chopped
¼ cup peanuts, roasted
2 tbsp galangal, peeled and finely chopped
2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and finely chopped (mid-portion only)
300g palm sugar
fish sauce or salt to taste
20 wild pepper leaves (daun kaduk), available at wet markets.
- Toast grated coconut in a dry pan (without oil) until golden brown, stirring occasionally. This should take about 30-45 minutes. Alternatively, place in a microwave on high in three to four blasts of 2 minutes each. Mix well after each blast.
- Toast dried shrimp in a pan with oil over high heat until crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Mix toasted coconut and dried shrimp with all the remaining ingredients except palm sugar, fish sauce and wild pepper leaves.
- Combine palm sugar and ¼ cup water in a saucepot over low heat until sugar melts and sauce thickens to a honey-like consistency. Add fish sauce to taste and let cool.
- Add 4 to 5 tbsp of sauce to the shrimp-coconut mixture and mix well. Reserve any remaining sauce in a separate bowl.
- Arrange wild pepper leaves in a serving platter with the shrimp-coconut mixture and remaining sauce in the middle.
- Fold the bottom of each leaf to form a hollow cone and spoon 1 tbsp of filling inside. Drizzle with more sauce if desired. Roll up to seal or let guests help themselves by wrapping their own snacks.