Hibachi grilled chicken liver and mushroom yakitori
A Hibachi steakhouse staple, Japanese chefs soak chicken liver in milk to remove smells and blood residue.
Serves 2 Prep time 1 hour
Cook time 35 minutes
80g fresh chicken livers
1 cup fresh milk
50g Japanese mushrooms
3 tbsp rock sugar
4 tbsp sake
1 piece konbu
6 tbsp mirin
9 tbsp premium Kikkoman soy sauce
1/4 cup water
Steamed garlic edamane
10 fresh garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 sprig thyme
pinch salt and pepper
1 cup edamane, shelled
35g Japanese dried seaweed
10g spring onions
15g green and purple shiso
- Break rock sugar into smaller pieces and add them into a pot. Caramelise sugar till a light golden brown. Heat up another pot and add sake, konbu and mirin till the alcohol burns off.
- Pour sake mixture, soya sauce and water with caramelised sugar in the pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer till there are about 3-4 tablespoons of liquid. Let cool.
- Combine garlic, olive oil, salt in a small pot till the garlic has been immersed in the oil. Cook slow fire for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the edamane. Steam edamane for 3-4 minutes.
- Soak chicken livers in milk for an hour. Drain the milk. Marinate chicken livers and mushrooms in yakitori sauce for one hour. Thread chicken livers with bamboo skewers.
- Soak the seaweed in water. for 10 minutes Slice the spring onions thinly and soak in ice cold water. Pat dry.
- Heat up your BBQ grill. Grill the chicken livers for 4-7 minutes.
- Arrange dried seaweed, green and purple shiso leaves, spring onions and lettuce onto a plate. Add grilled chicken liver and mushroom. Drizzle with steamed garlic edamane.