Heirloom Baby Carrots and grapefruit ‘terrine’
This refreshing creation is sure to whet your appetite. Grapefruit adds little punches of bittersweetness to this delicate, vegetarian ‘terrine’ of purple, yellow and orange baby carrots.
Serves 1 Prep time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
Heirloom baby carrots and grapefruit ‘terrine’ with tarragon orange reduction
75g purple baby carrots (available at Market Place by Jasons or Cold Storage in Great World City)
75g yellow baby carrots (available at Market Place by Jasons or Cold Storage in Great World City)
75g orange baby carrots
2g gelatine sheet
80g grapefruit juice
5g parsley, chopped
100g orange carrots
40g grapefruit wedges
100ml orange juice
100ml carrot juice
20ml Champagne vinegar (available at Market Place by Jasons)
5g grated ginger
20ml Grand Marnier
15g grapefruit sacs
5g black pepper
- Peel and blanch all baby carrots until soft. Cool in an ice bath and strain. Chop into cross-sectional pieces.
- Bloom gelatine sheet in cold water. Squeeze dry and bring to a boil with grapefruit juice until fully dissolved. Mix in parsley, then set aside.
- Thinly shave orange carrots, then blanch until soft. Cool in an ice bath, then lay along the sides of a rectangular mould.
- Arrange blanched purple, yellow and orange baby carrots and grapefruit wedges in mould, pour in grapefruit juice mixture, then set in the chiller until firm.
- To make reduction, bring orange and carrot juice, sugar, Champagne vinegar and ginger to a boil, then reduce and add in Grand Marnier. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, then fold in grapefruit sacs.
- Season reduced mixture with black pepper and tarragon, carrot with puffed quinoa and shaved carrot slaw
Carrot with puffed quinoa and shaved carrot slaw
10g red quinoa
10g yellow quinoa
1 baby orange carrot
8g baby yellow carrot
8g baby purple carrot
- Mix red and yellow quinoa with 400ml water and steam until soft, then deep fry at 180°C until quinoa puffs up. Set aside.
- Blanch baby orange carrot until soft, then coat with puffed quinoa. Set aside.
- Thinly shave uncooked yellow and purple carrot with mandolin, then set aside in an ice bath.
30g corn starch
10g egg white
- Mix milk, cream, sugar and corn starch in a Thermomix and bring to a boil, then pour mixture into a container and freeze.
- Once frozen, chop mixture and add to Thermomix to blend with egg white and yoghurt.
- Assemble dish according to photo or as desired.