Grilled lamb with turmeric tomatoes
When cooking with acidic ingredients such as vinegar or tomato, a non-reactive cookware prevents metals from reacting with acids and leaching into food.
Serves 4 Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 12 to 15 minutes
2 baby lamb racks, trimmed andbones removed
turmeric tomato vinegar mix
500g cherry tomatoes on the vine
2 cups white sugar
6 tsp salt
500ml cider vinegar
500ml Japanese vinegar
1 ginger bulb, thinly sliced
chilli orange oil
grated zest from 5 large oranges
5 dried chillies, chopped roughly
6 tbsp salted black beans, soaked
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
4 cups corn oil
½ cup sesame oil
8 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
1 tbsp cumin seed, toasted
1 tsp saffron threads, toasted
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
¼ cup currants
3 organic carrots, peeled and grated
4 sprigs flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 sprigs mint leaf, finely chopped
¼ cup pine nuts, roasted
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
40g butter and olive oil
2 cups veal jus
- Sear the lamb racks in a hot pan and roast in a 160°C oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Then, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- To make turmeric tomato vinegar mix, combine all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan such as glass or enamel ones, and bring to a simmer. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Remove pan from heat and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- To make chilli orange oil, combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan, bring to 225°C. Let the mix bubble for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool. Be careful not to burn the ingredients.
- Combine oil and vinegar mixtures in a saucepan and reheat. Add 8 tsp turmeric powder. This oil gets more flavourful the longer it sits, so make it at least three days before use.
- To make carrot salad, grind coriander, cumin and saffron in a mortar and pestle. Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a pot and add onion and garlic to let them sweat for 3 minutes. Add the spices and continue to cook for 5 minutes until the onions turn soft and translucent. Add currants and sweat for another 3 minutes. Allow to cool. Place the grated carrots in a bowl, then toss with the sautéed onions, garlic and herbs mixture, roasted pine nuts, and extra virgin olive oil.
- To make onion sauce, sauté red onions till soft. Add veal jus. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- To present, arrange the turmeric tomatoes and carrot salad separately on a plate. Thinly slice the lamb and spoon the onion sauce over. Serve.