Grilled baby quail with brandy hosin glaze
Cooking quail is like cooking chicken, only faster and easier because of its smaller size. A sweet and sticky glaze coats the tender rosy meat which has a texture similar to that of chicken thigh.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
4 baby quail, gutted and cleaned
brandy hosin glaze
120g red shallots, sliced
5 whole garlic, peeled and smashed
1 cup brandy
½ cup white wine
juice from 1 green lime
3 tbsp hosin sauce
30g aged dried orange peel
70g rock sugar
- Heat up a grill pan to red hot with oil , lightly sear all sides of the quail to a light golden brown. Set aside.
- Using the same grill pan, fry the shallots and garlic until golden brown.
- Deglaze with the brandy and white wine, burn off the alcohol. Mixture will be reduced to about half.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Pour the sauce over the quail and let it marinate for 20 mins before roasting in the oven at 180°C for 15 mins.