Gibanica (cheese bread)
A pie made from thin layers of dough with plenty of cheese, kajmak cream and eggs. Like most curd recipes, this is best served at room temperature and even tastier when eaten the day after. Delia replaces phyllo pastry with Chinese spring roll pastry skins.
Serves 8 Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 1 hour
4 eggs, separated
900g cottage cheese or feta cheese or a combination of both
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp soda water
450g phyllo pastry, thawed or 20 pcs of
Chinese spring roll pastry
1 cup sour cream
• Mix egg yolk with cheese and melted butter. Add salt.
• Beat egg whites until foamy and fold mixture into cheese. Stir in soda water.
• Grease a 9 by 13 inches baking pan and line the bottom of the pan with two phyllo pastry sheets. Reserve two phyllo sheets for the top layer.
• Spread cheese filling on top of pastry.
• Dip the remaining leaves, one by one, into the cheese mixture until the sheet is completely soaked.
• Remove the sheet and while doing so, crumple up the phyllo a little and take some of the filling with it. Transfer this to the baking pan, with the cheese filling spread out on top of phyllo sheet.
• Repeat procedure with the rest of the sheets.
• If there is leftover filling, pour it into the pan and smooth it over the top.
• Cover with the last two pastry sheets and brush the top with a little butter. Ensure that the pan is completely covered with the pastry.
• Bake uncovered in a 175°C oven for an hour.
• Let it cool to room temperature. Cut into squares and serve with sour cream or plain yoghurt.