Duck fat french fries
The humble potato comes in a staggering amount of varieties. Joyce Huang finds out which spud to use for that velvety mash, crunchy fries, or flavourful gnocchi.
Serves 4-5 Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
1kg agria potatoes, thoroughly washed
1kg duck fat (available from Culina)
fleur de sel, to taste
- Keeping the skin on, cut potatoes into long strips of about 2cm thick or into wedges.
- In a large pot, melt duck fat over medium heat.
- When fat has completely melted and is warm, add cut potatoes into the pot and poach at a constant temperature of 90°C for 15-20 minutes.
- Once potatoes are soft but firm, remove them from the pot and drain excess oil on paper towels. At this point, fries can be kept in a chiller or refrigerator to be deep-fried the next day.
- Submerge fries for about 7 minutes in a deep fryer or deep pot filled with oil, at a constant temperature of about 170°C.
- Remove and drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Season with fleur de sel and serve warm.
Read more in the December 2015 issue of epicure.