Deep fried yam baskets with ice cream
Deep Fried Yam Baskets with Ice Cream
Prep time 40 minutes + 45 minutes chill time
Cook time 45 minutes
600g yams, peeled and cubed
200g gluten-free flour
1 tsp five spice powder
70g vegetable shortening
½ tsp salt
corn flour, for dusting
vegetable oil, for frying
ice cream and fresh fruits of your choice, to serve
- Steam the yams till soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- Transfer the yam to a blender and add all the remaining ingredients (except corn flour). Blend well until the mixture reaches the consistency of pliable plasticine. (Note: if the yams have a naturally high water content, you may need less shortening and vice versa.)
- Remove the mixture and divide the mixture into five equal parts. Mould each part around a bottle to form a ring, or roll out into a thick coil, pressing the two ends to seal. Chill the rings in the fridge for 30-45 minutes till firm.
- Just before frying, dust each ring lightly with corn flour. Fill up a wok or deep pan with vegetable oil deep enough for the yams to be completely submerged. Deep fry until golden brown (they will float up when they are ready).
- Drain the rings of excess oil on paper towels, then scoop any ice cream flavour of your choice into the middle. Serve immediately with fresh fruits if desired.