Deep fried banana coins
These golden nuggets are easy to make and promise to be a delicious addition to your Chinese New Year festivities.
Serves 4-6 Prep time 25 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
75g corn flour
75g plain flour
380g egg whites
1 bunch ripe yellow bananas, sliced into 1-cm rounds
vegetable oil for deep frying
icing sugar for dusting
- Sift corn flour and plain flour together to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg whites with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and continue to whisk until white and glossy.
- Add in mixed flours, a little at a time, and stir until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a wok. Test it is hot enough by inserting a chopstick into the oil, it should bubble on the side.
- Scoop up some of the egg white mixture with a small teaspoon, drop a banana coin in the middle and layer more of the egg white mixture to cover.
- Slowly slide the coated bananas into the wok and deep fry till golden brown.
- Drain, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.