Crab on charcoal crostini
Push the limits of your culinary creativity with this monochromatic canapé. It’s edgy and totally fun.
Begin the monochromatic affair on the right note with a tray of butler-passed canapés. These elegant bites start with a building block of charcoal-darkened bread and end with a quenelle of glistening caviar.
Serves 4 Prep time 50 minutes
Cook time 25 minutes plus 1 hour 10 minutes proof time
2 tsp dry yeast
1¼ cups warm water approximately 37˚C
3 cups bread flour + ¼ cup more, if required
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp charcoal powder (available at Bake King)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fine cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 cups bread flour, sea salt, charcoal and garlic powders. Add dry ingredients to the yeast and warm water.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour on the lowest speed until the ingredients form a sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a clean, floured surface and knead with your hands until dough is smooth and elastic, around 8 to 10 minutes. Dust with remaining ¼ cup of bread flour if the dough is still too wet.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray or oil. Coat the dough lightly with the oil, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place (approximately 55˚C) until doubled in size, at least 40 minutes.
- Punch the dough down a couple of times to release trapped air, then knead again and return to the bowl. Cover and let rest for another 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a baguette, approximately 2.5cm thick. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and dust with cornmeal.
- Preheat oven to 225˚C. Place shaped roll on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and let rise a final 20 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Bake till exteriors are lightly crisp and insides are light and fluffy, about 25 minutes.
crab meat mix
2 fresh Sri Lankan crabs, cooked and meat picked
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch sea salt
30g dried ginger, minced
1 tbsp whipped heavy cream
55g black bean tofu, puréed
1 tsp ground black sesame seeds
sea salt and white pepper, to taste
35g black caviar
- Combine picked crab with olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and dried ginger. Toss well and keep chilled.
- Combine whipped heavy cream, puréed tofu and ground black sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, arrange chilled crab meat on each crostini slice, dollop with tofu cream and top with a quenelle of black caviar. Serve immediately.
Excerpt from the December 2014 issue of epicure.