Confit duck leg with foie gras, pickled rhubarb, assam-balsamic reduction and sweet potato puree
Confit Duck Leg with Foie Gras, Pickled Rhubarb, Assam-Balsamic Reduction and Sweet Potato Puree
Prep time 30 minutes
Cook time 2 hours 15 minutes
1 stalk of rhubarb, skin intact
200ml cranberry juice
20ml acacia honey
- Combine the ingredients into a vacuum sealed bag, and sous vide at 65°C for 20 minutes.
- Remove the rhubarb, peel off its skin, and cut into it 4 pieces, each about 7cm long.
confit duck leg
4 pcs duck leg
50g whole garlic
5 bay leaves
30g juniper berries
500g duck fat
- Season the duck legs with the shallots, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and juniper berries, and place the duck legs and fat into a metal insert. Cover with aluminium foil and bake at 140°C for 2 hours.
75g assam paste
200ml balsamic vinegar
- Combine the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce till mixture turns thick.
Japanese sweet potato purée
300g Japanese sweet potato
150ml orange juice
50g unsalted butter
- Boil the sweet potato till soft and remove its skin. In a blender, blend it with orange juice and add butter to finish.
80g baby spinach
1 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper, to taste
40g duck foie gras
50ml sherry vinegar
- In a pan, sauté the baby spinach, garlic and salt and pepper till garlic turns brown. Set vegetables aside.
- Coat the foie gras with polenta, and sear it till the crust turns crisp. Deglaze with sherry vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- On a plate, spread the assam balsamic reduction, and arrange the rhubarb, confit duck legs, sweet potato purée, vegetables and foie gras on top.