Red spotted giant toadstools, glittery fairy wings…now is the time to raid your children’s or niece’s closet for some party decorations. We recommend serving this dessert in a large trifle jar for maximum impact. Let it sit pretty as a table centrepiece to accentuate the forest-nature theme.
Serves 6 to 8
Prep time 35 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
180g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 cup fine sugar
1 ½ cup unsalted butter (cut into 2cm cubes)
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¾ cup plain flour|
6 large eggs
6 cup morello cherries in syrup
6 tbsp Kirsch or cherry brandy
6 tbsp fine sugar
1 cup grated dark chocolate
4 ½ cups heavy cream
6 tbsp white granulated sugar
¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
- For the chocolate base, heat a pot with boiling water and put a whisking bowl over its rim (the water should not touch the whisking bowl). Add in chocolate, sugar and butter into.
- Once chocolate and butter have melted, add in the vanilla, flour and salt. Continue whisking the mixture for 10 minutes or until the mixture cools down.
- Finally, whisk in the eggs and mix well. Butter grease and flour a baking mould. Pour the mix into the mould. Bake in a preheated 165°C oven for 35 minutes.
- Once the chocolate base has cooled down, cut it to bite-size pieces.
- Layer the chocolate base, marinated cherries, garnish and cream
- Chill it in the fridge for another 30 minutes before serving.