Ba bin (baked tapioca cake)
A delightful end to any Thai-inspired meal, these baked tapioca cakes are great for entertaining or to satisfy the occasional afternoon craving.
Type of Meal
Level of Difficulty
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
300g palm sugar
100g granulated sugar
900g old tapioca, peeled, rinsed and grated
1 cup grated coconut
300ml coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Combine palm sugar and granulated sugar together in a small saucepot with ½ cup water. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugars have melted, then set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add grated tapioca and coconut. Stir in the coconut cream and melted sugar. Using your hand, mix the ingredients well and remove any tough, stray tapioca fibres.
- Grease and line a 6 X 6 inch baking tin with baking paper. Pour the tapioca mixture in, smooth the top and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, bring up the temperature to 230°C and bake for another 5 minutes or until the top of the cake turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven, peel of the baking paper and let cool. Slice into squares and serve.