Chilled blueberry soup with poire william pear liqueur
CHILLED BLUEBERRY SOUP WITH POIRE WILLIAM PEAR LIQUEUR
Prep time 4 minutes + 4 hours chill time
Cook time 25 minutes
65g rock sugar
45g brown sugar
12 mint leaves, crushed
1 cup Poire William pear liqueur (available at Jasons Market Place)
1 Packham pear, core removed, peeled and diced. (available at Cold Storage)
10 Maraschino cherries
pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
2 cups water
3g mint leaves
1 tbsp blueberry jam
1 scoop ice cream
- Heat up a non-stick pot with rock sugar and brown sugar, and lightly caramelise them till light golden brown.
- Add mint leaves and deglaze with Poire William pear liqueur, or substitute with pear cider.
- Let mixture simmer, then add blueberries, pear, cherries, nutmeg powder and water.
- Cook for 20 minutes on low heat and season to taste.
- When it is cooled, use a hand blender and purée to a soup-like texture.
- Chill for approximately 4 hours then garnish and serve with a scoop of ice cream.
Excerpt from the November issue of epicure.