Tri-coloured vegetable chawanmushi
This healthy chawanmushi is chockfull of vegetables; buying local vegetables reduces your carbon footprint and grants just as much flavour.
Serves 3 Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 15 minutes
30g local organic green vegetables, blanched and chopped to bite-sized pieces (available at farms in Yio Chu Kang and Quan Fa Organic Farm)
6 tbsp water
60g carrots, cooked and diced
30g local cherry tomatoes, blanched and roughly chopped
5 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 whole eggs
1½ cups light vegetable stock
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sake
1 tsp mirin
- Place half of the local green vegetables and 2 tbsp water into a blender and purée till fine. Combine the remaining chopped vegetables with the purée.
- Repeat the same method separately for the carrots and cherry tomatoes.
- Divide shiitake mushroom slices evenly into 3 portions and place with green vegetables, carrots and cherry tomatoes in 3 separate egg coddlers or cups. Set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in another bowl and mix well, but do not whisk the mixture excessively.
- Strain the egg mixture and pour an equal amount into the 3 vegetable ingredient mixes. Mix well.
- Pour one vegetable ingredient mix of your choosing into each of the 3 egg coddlers, about ½cm thick. Steam for 2 minutes.
- Repeat previous instruction for the other 2 vegetable ingredient mixes, so that you get a layered chawanmushi.