Chilled sea cucumber with melon snap
Sea cucumber is known as an immunity booster due to its anti-inflammatory properties. But with its slippery texture and bland taste, it’s not exactly a crowd pleaser. Cook them in chicken stock and pair it with refreshing honeydew juice to perk up the flavour.
Prep time 15 minutes
200g sea cucumber, sliced to bite size pieces (available at wet markets and occasionally NTUC Fairprice)
100g fresh black fungus mushrooms
2 cups chicken stock
2 stalks fresh celery, peeled and thinly sliced
½ carrot, peeled and thinly sliced to strips
100g lotus root, blanched then thinly sliced
10g coriander root, thinly chopped
1 tbsp black sesame oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
pinch brown sugar, melted slightly
60ml chilled milk
½ tbsp almond powder
½ tbsp whey protein powder
190g fresh honeydew
40g fresh or frozen mango
juice from 1 slice of ginger
• Boil sea cucumber and black fungus mushrooms in chicken stock for 10 minutes, let cool and drain excess liquid.
• Thinly slice black fungus mushrooms and mix with celery, carrot, lotus root, coriander root and boiled sea cucumber.
• Combine all marinade ingredients together well and set aside.
• Pour over vegetable mix and toss well.
• Blend ingredients for melon snap together and serve chilled alongside tossed sea cucumber mix.